Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The true medicine

I received an email today from someone who has been keeping up with my situation. She wrote the following:

I read your blog at home last night and wanted to offer my encouragement to you to keep on being true to yourself. I hope you have a good support system

Have a peaceful day

There's a few things that struck me about this brief email. First, the person who wrote it. I've known her for a while now. Technically speaking, she is one of my many "bosses". As a freelancer, I work for a number of people. This particular person has always been a friend to me, as well as someone for whom I work. Pure and simple: she's good people--she makes my job so much easier and we work incredibly well together. In response to her email, the first thing I did was thank her for encouragement and well wishes. I explained that I knew that writing about this is extremely personal and poses a risk to me, professionally. After all, prospective employers and other sources can see my "dirty laundry" hanging in the air. I concluded that, in the end, that by addressing this subject not only helps me confirm who I am in a complete way, but also affirms the millions of others in the world who cope with depression on a daily basis. Who I am to deny these people? Why am I better than they? Depression is a disease that festers in darkness--therefore, bringing it out into the light, into the open, must be a sure fire way to conquer it. I also assured her that I have an incredible support system. It is people like her and the others out there who have sent their thoughts and prayers my way. Then, of course, there is my inner circle: Jon, my family and my friends. I confess that I keep a pretty tight circle, and in my inner circle's defense, being in this position can't be easy. Yet, each one of them is key in my recovery. Much the same way an alcoholic, drug or other addict, "recovery" is a relative term. Depression isn't cured--it is handled/managed. It is a daily challenge. Some days are a struggle, many will be successful. And, yes, there are many drugs available to help with treatment. The best medicine doesn't come in a bottle, though. It comes in the patience, understanding and love of family and friends. It's not easy for them: they put up with the roller coaster ride of depression and do it without question. I'm one of the lucky ones, as not all people in my place can say the same thing. The days have been dark lately, but as I told my friend--I have incredible support. They are the light at the end of this tunnel. I can see it clearly.

No comments: