Friday, December 16, 2005

Actor John Spencer has died - TELEVISION - MSNBC.com

This is one of those news stories that, when I saw the headline, thought was one of those sick jokes/rumors. Unfortunately, it's not. I know it sounds stupid--I don't know this man personally at all, but since 1999, this man and the character he created has touched my life significantly. It was clear in watching John Spencer that he loved...had a passion...for his craft. He made The West Wing the powerhouse it was in its heyday and gave it a shred of dignity since its decline over the past couple of years. He was one of the reasons I kept with the show, even though it has lost its lustre. And, the irony that he passed away from the same ailment his character had....unreal. So, while it may seem silly to mourn a stranger, I shed a tear for a great performer and a great professional.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The minute I heard the news I thought of you and then I too felt sad!!!!....

Marie Rossiter said...

Thanks Mom. I'm glad you understand. I'm not sure what's going to happen to WW now, but there's a void that simply can't be filled.

He wasn't the most publicized of the cast--he was the steady, dependable one--just like the character he played. That's what made him so special and vital to the show.

Still hard to believe he's gone...

Love ya, Mom. Thanks for not thinking I'm crazy.

me

Anonymous said...

Please let me send my condolences. I know how much you loved the show. And you are right, he was the consummate actor. While I haven't seen the show at all this year (Sunday night is ABC night in our house), I still love the show, too.

Luv ya,