Wednesday, August 31, 2005

School Days, School Days

Over the past few days, it probably appeared as though I was more than excited for the girls to start school. Ecstatic may be the better word, but there are a variety of reasons, other than the obvious that I will now have the house to myself for six hours a day. However, while I may have been ecstatic for this blessed day, I believe that Cailyn and Erin were bordering on the hysterical. Getting them to sleep last night was a challenge and they were so hyped out that, believe it or not, getting them out the door wasn't so easy, either. Still, we had time to do the traditional first day of school pictures.... First, I wanted to go back and see the pics from the past few years of this--just of Cailyn of course. Here's what I found... August 2003: Cailyn's First Day of Kindergarten. Looking all school-girl in her sweater and plaid skirt, Cailyn was just thrilled to have the backpack and Barbie lunchbox. This is the big time! September 1, 2004 "Mom, I'm a big kid now..." With outfit picked out weeks before hand and a new pair of glasses (which, of course, she's not wearing in the picture), Cailyn announced the she was growing up--as if I couldn't tell from just looking at her. As I took this shot, I had flashes of middle school--and shuddered. I had to remember she was only going into the first grade... August 31, 2005: Sassy Second Grader. I have to say that is one of the prettiest "non professional" shots of Cailyn I've seen. She granted my wish of no fooling around during the quick pictures I took this morning. When I saw the picture after dropping her off, I was floored at what a lovely young lady she's becoming. August 31, 2005: Erin's FIRST day of school. Some may not see preschool as the real deal, but around here, it is. This is the first of many years of school pictures for my "baby". She had just taken a tumble before the shot, while trying to put her backpack on (remarkably, it only had a change of clothes and isn't as heavy as it looks). Still, she took a tumble in her excitement and got her feathers ruffled a bit. So, she still looks a bit upset in this shot. August 31, 2005: School Day Sisters Their excitement is so obvious here. Picture pretty much says it all. Both were dropped off without incident, by either myself or them!!! Parents will mulling about both at elementary school and preschool. Cailyn's teacher already had work on their desk to get them started (as a former teacher, I have to say, I like her style) and Erin basically put her items in her cubby, found the puzzle table and told me to get lost--not literally, but close enough. No tears for any of us. A huge relief. And, no skid marks on the pavement as I pulled the car away ;)

3 comments:

Sheri said...

I felt like a queen having the while day to myself yesterday! ALmost giddy like.

Your children are adorable! I didn't kow you had a 2nd grader too! Mine told me when I was tucking her in last night "Mom, I just LOVE 2nd grade. It is awesome!"

Robin said...

Isn't the quiet beautifully deafening??

Anonymous said...

You have beautiful children! You must be so proud!