Thursday, August 11, 2005

Old Friends....

In about an hour, Erin and I are heading to Portland Jetport to pick up Mary and Micah--our friends from Ohio. After almost 8 years, we managed to get them out here to visit us in Maine! The timing of their visit couldn't be better, as I'm still smarting some from Heidi's move (ironically to Ohio). Jon and I met Mary as we moved into our apartment in Bowling Green, OH. She lived in the downstairs apartment of this old house in a nice part of town, and were going to be her upstairs neighbors. At the time, she was very pregnant with her son, Micah. Incredibly bright and funnier than hell, this woman was preparing to be a single mother and was proud of it. As a matter of fact, she joked that the apartment Jon and I were moving into upstairs seemed to be fertile ground: she got pregnant while living there, and the couple who lived there before her also welcomed a new bundle of joy. "Don't drink the water," she warned with a smile. About a month or so later, 0n April 7, 1997, Mary had Micah. No more than a month and a half later, I discovered that I was pregnant. Unbelievable. We couldn't have had a better neighbor than Mary. I got to watch a first time mom go through the paces with a newborn. She taught me so much. Exactly 10 months after Micah's birth, on February 7, 1998, Cailyn was born. Mary and I raised our children together, shared frustrations, made each other laugh, and became best friends. Within 6 months of Cailyn's birth, though, Jon and I moved to Maine. I left behind one of the best friends I ever had the pleasure of knowing. We promised each other that we wouldn't lose touch; our friendship would endure. It hasn't been easy. We've only been to Ohio a couple of times, and there was a 6 year gap in between visits. Of course, there's phone calls and emails. Sometimes a few months will pass until either of us can manage to pick up the phone for decent chat. Working and kids makes the time go by too quickly. The last I saw Mary was in May, when I went to visit Jon during his extended trip to Cinci. We drove the 3.5 hours north to see our friend. I was nervous that things would be tense and strained. I learned that time and distance doesn't dull a friendship whatsoever. The moment we saw each other, it was like old times. We only had a few hours at her place, but really pushed the issue of her and Micah visiting us. She's wanted to since we moved, but she had just started going back to school to get her degree. In spite of the fact that she lived on her own and had a young son, she became a respiratory therapist. Mary bought her father's house and is doing a fantastic job! It took a year of saving up time and money, but they are finally coming to Maine! Now, I just have to confiscate her return tickets!!! ;) PS: Thanks to those of you sending your congrats on my new position. It means the world to me! Later gators!

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Enjoy your visit with your friend! I hope the weather co-operates for the whole time they are here.

It's true about time not hurting a true friendship. My friend, Mel & I have recently discovered this.

Alekx said...

It's so exciting to reunite. I had that pleasure with my best friend in the whole world a few short months ago, and now alas he is moving again to Alaska, we've been on the phone non stop this 3rd day into his trip. I miss him wicked already. But we'll meet again, and it'll be just as special.

I'm happy for you getting to see your friend. Enjoy the visti