Monday, August 22, 2005

Human emotions are complicated things. I think this is especially true regarding women. This is not meant to be sexist or degrading to one gender or the other. Men and women both have challenges when it comes to dealing with feelings. It's just that women have so many triggers that it can be almost impossible to predict what she's feeling at any given time are any of the men that may be reading this jumping for joy at this admission? [remember, this is only my opinion--and I am no expert. There, my disclaimer is done :)] A good example of what I mean happened yesterday: I went to church yesterday to sing with the choir (i'm a regular member, but we usually take summers off). It was a special occasion yesterday: our priest, Father Drew, is moving up to another position after being with our church for five years. Fr. Drew is a relatively young, energetic and amusing guy who took a stodgy parish and actually lightened things up a bit. Granted, I am the youngest on the choir--except during school breaks from college. Still, the church is suffering a huge loss. So, to show our gratitude, the choir performed programs at both AM masses on Sunday. Our accompianist even composed some music for the event--a gift, because that man is extraordinarily talented. As the 8:30 AM Mass started, a feeling of sadness cascaded down upon me. I got to know Fr. Drew pretty well, but I wouldn't say we're close. But, the pending departure, the beautiful music and PMS all combined to make me a sniffling mess. Tears rolled down my cheeks and I wondered what brought this on. Half way through the Mass, it came to me: I'm feeling abandoned and alone. The past month or so has brought a lot of change in my life--most of it being departures. My best friend moved away, family and friends have come to visit and then have left, my husband is working a lot of hours and will be going away again for business travel. I have a number of acquaintances, but haven't made the firm connections that I've discovered I need. I know I'm never truly alone. There are many people in my life that are only a phone call away, but it's not quite the same. Yesterday just felt like the straw that broke the camel's back. People in my life that I figured were constants are taking off in new directions. I'm an incredibly lucky person. I have a job that I love and a beautiful family. So, why the sadness and frustration? I'm sure that future friendships are in the wings--but waiting can be so hard...

6 comments:

Melody said...

It is so strange that I picked today to read your blog, it's been a while since I have. I have been on the verge of tears for days now...PMS aside...I know that it is due to impending changes in my life. My son will soon head back to college and my daughter back to high school. Summer is on it's way out and along with it goes our 'family' time. There have been many changes in my life the past year or so and I am having a very hard time adjusting to it. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone.

Sheri said...

Yeah Marie! I can see your blog again!

Oh hun, believe me when I say I understand the pms/emotion issue. Well, it's not really an issue but you know what I mean.

We are ending the near of a season too and I hink that brings on melancholy feelings in many people. Bug squishy hugs to you!

Sheri said...

I mean BIG squishy hugs to you! I wouldn't hug you with bugs! lol

Marie Rossiter said...

Thanks for qualifying, Sheri....cuz, squishy bug hugs would be kinda nasty--especially with some of the big uns we have up here in Maine.

LOL

M.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lady, do i need to jump on a plane again and take you book shopping, LOL. You KNOW all you have to do is pick up the phone and vent. Anyway, be home on the 30th and you might recieve a nice lift me up on your door step.

Love Ya!!!

Marie Rossiter said...

Hoooo hooo ha ha ha....My evil plan is working...

Whatever I gotta do to get you guys back here ;)

I'm feeling much better now. Thanks, though. And, what did you do??

Now, you've got me wondering....

We miss ya lots and lots!

Marie

PS: Wanted to ask if I had permission to post some of the pics I took of Micah on my web photo portfolio and/or blog?