Friday, July 01, 2005

Paul Anka Rocks

So, here's a conversation I had with DH, Jon, the day before yesterday: Jon: So, I heard something interesting on the radio this morning. Me: (eating dinner) Hmm? Jon I'm not sure what it says about me, I'm either really getting old or I'm losing my mind. Me: (he's got my attention now) Ok, what was it. Jon: Paul Anka has a new CD out. Me: Paul Anka? As in THE Paul Anka? Jon: (eating a chicken wing) Yeah. Tim and Jamie [popular local radio hosts] played a clip from this CD. (He pulls out his wallet and finds a piece of paper} Me: (not believing what I'm seeing) You wrote it down? Jon (grins sheepishly) He did this swing version of Van Halen's 'Jump'! Me: Are you serious? Jon Yeah. The CD's called Rock Swings. He does all of these rock classics in big band style. We sit in silence for a few moments. Jon: What? You like swing and big band music... Me (nodding) Yeah, it just sounds....Paul Anka? (I start to laugh) Jon: Ok, well, you need to hear it So, after the dishes are done, and the girls are put to bed, out comes the computer and to ITunes he goes. He brings up the CD and starts to play 'Jump'. Jon: Ok, at first I wasn't impressed at all. I thought the whole things was kinda weird, but the more I listened to it...I don't know. Me: (listening) It's a little funny, but I have to admit... Jon: See! It's pretty good. The thing that practically had me peeing in my pants though, is this song. You need to hear it to appreciate it, so here's a link Listen to some smooth music here OMG! This album is so mellow and smooth and borderline geeky it's cool. I've always been a swing music fan, but to hear all of these hard hitting songs re-arranged, well...it's something! So, honey, I apologize in public for looking at you like you had three heads and laughing at you at the dinner table. But, you were right about one thing...this does say something about you (and me). I think we're getting old....

3 comments:

AGK said...

Hi Marie -- checking out your blog :) (MWs)

C. Hedges said...

Wasn't there another old-timer who did covers of '80s hairband songs? I can't remember his name.

Deliberate Chaos

John Holland said...

Pat Boone did cover version of rock songs a few years back. I keep hearing about this cd. He also does a cover of Nivarana's Smell like Teen Spirit. I can almost hear Jump by him, but Nivarana is a little harder to imagine.