Thursday, June 30, 2005

Looking back on my life through a me-me

I stole this meme from Heidi, who stole it from two others on her blog--so, I guess this is some hot stuff! Taking a trip down amnesia lane should be fun; let's get started! 10 years ago: I was wrapping up classes and studying for my comprehensive exams in order to graduate with my Masters degree in Literacy Education from Bowling Green State University in Ohio. In May, I became engaged to my wonderful boyfriend, Jon, after "dating" for only about 6 or so months. Jon and I moved into a new apartment together and started making plans for our wedding in Vermont, the following summer. As stressful as it was then, I look back very fondly on those times now. We were young, in love, and just starting out. 5 years ago: Jon and I had moved to Maine two years before (in 1998). We were now parents of our first daughter, Cailyn, who has turned two in February. Jon had a new job at P&G in Maine, was travelling a lot and we were settled into our new home: a house! This time, 5 years ago, we were preparing to celebrate our 4th wedding anniversay. I was teaching Literacy Skills and was the Director of the Learning Center at Poland Regional High School--the first new school in Maine in a generation. At the time, I thought it was the job of my dreams. I enjoyed it, but something was missing... 1 year ago: Cailyn wrapped up kindergarten and Erin was home with me full time, after I left teaching the previous winter. I was writing, in earnest, for the Lewiston Sun Journal now and starting to wonder if this writing thing would turn into more than just a hobby. Jon and I were about to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary and we took our girls to Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor--a first for all of us. Here's a pic of my two little adventurers. We were surprised at how much they enjoyed the trip, especially since neither of them are the outdoor-type (like Mother/like daughters!). They want to go back this year and we hope we can swing another trip up to the area in late August, before school goes back in session. Yesterday: A lazy day for me and Erin. Cailyn was dropped off for the camp bus and Erin and I hung around at home. I spent the day trying to get out from under the laundry that has piled up down in the basement (all clean, just not put away) and also worked on trying to get my writing projects organized. After spending a while trying to see where I was at, this is what I found on my project roster:
  • Three book proposals that I am either writing or revising
  • A short story that I am looking to put into children's book form
  • Four short features for the paper and a website I work for
  • An online column
  • Six features ideas I've sent out to publishers and waiting to hear back on
  • Then, of course, there's the blog and my business website I need to maintain
  • So, yesterday was productive if for the only reason that I know why I'm going insane. Today: Clean house a little and maybe get in touch with Heidi, so the girls can play together. Jon and I are heading out for a few hours tonight to have some "us" time and I need to finish up a sidebar for the paper. Tomorrow: No idea, yet. Hopefully will get a chapter of one of my books finished. Ok, hopefully will get a chapter started. LOL 5 snacks I enjoy: popcorn, pretzels, hostess cupcakes, chips and salsa and chocolate 5 songs I know all the words to: Almost any Phil Collins song, but I'll say "In the Air Tonight", "Smooth", by Rob Thomas and Santana, "In My Life", the Beatles, "Only the Good Die Young," Billy Joel and the majority of broadway shows. LOL 5 things I'd do with a 100 mill: Pay off my bills, put a nice sum away for my girls, pay off my parents bills, invest/save some and travel with Jon! 5 locations I'd like to run away to: The Maine coast (my own little beach house), Quebec City, Ireland, A nice, well appointed cabine in a lake on the mountains of Vermont and the Caribbean. 5 bad habits: emotional eating, biting my nails, worrying about things I have little control over, beating myself up, being outspoken at the wrong times 5 things I like doing: write, read, listen to music, spend time with my family and crochet 5 things I would never wear: Um, micro mini skirts, a fully-sequined dress, a bikini, a nose ring, a tongue ring. 5 TV shows I like: West Wing, Mythbusters, documentaries, Mad About You and the news 5 movies I like: Major League, Moulin Rouge, Star Wars, Gone with the Wind, Somewhere in Time 5 famous people I'd like to meet: Martin Sheen, Bill Clinton, Robin Williams, Harrison Ford and Keith Lockhart of the Boston Pops 5 biggest joys at the moment: Watching my girls enjoy each other (which is off and on, most of the time), spending some quiet time with Jon, looking forward to going to Vermont for a week and those little moments I grab that I can be alone. 5 favorite toys: my laptop, our TiVo, my IPod, my digital camera and one toy I won't mention here! LOL LOL Phew! If you're still with me, you're a trooper. Sorry it got so long!

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    Enjoyed reading your meme! I have the same one at my blog. Check it out:

    http://menfreya.tblog.com

    My blog isn't coming up today (technical difficulties!) but hopefully soon!