Thursday, July 07, 2005

Just my luck...

Greetings! Well, after an unsuccessful bout at work last night, I decided to try to head over to the library this morning to get some work done while my sitter was watching Erin. Off I went with notebook and reference book in hand. I decided not to use the laptop to see if actually writing by hand would help stir the creative juices. I walk into the library, excited to have 90 minutes before I had to go to Wally-World for groceries and then go home. I don't even make it half way into the Auburn Library (which, by the way, is temporarily housed in the Auburn (S)Mall until their renovations are done next year) when I hear loud singing and clapping. It's family sing-a-long day in the children's section, which is not isolated from the rest of the room. Sigh. I move to the back of the large space, where's there's individual desks for "Quiet Study". I still hear "Yankee Doodle", "Puff the Magic Dragon" and other family favorites floating toward me. After 40 minutes of fighting the distractions, I left and went shopping. I'll try again tonight. On a happier note, here is the link to my story at Long Story Short Magazine: My first orginal published story! Took a while for the editors to get the link working correctly. So, please let me know if this is an active link. Some of you have read this story before from the blog, but it's cool to see it published somewhere else. Plus, it's my first story that is not a non-fiction feature about someone else that has been published. Ok, I'm off to try to make a baby hat and booties for a friend of mine's baby girl. Later Gators

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marie, loved your story!

Long Story Short published one of my first stories and I have a soft spot for them...

http://www.alongstoryshort.homestead.com/ThreeDaysintheLife.html

Anonymous said...

Oops, the address got cut off:

http://www.alongstoryshort.homestead.com/ThreeDaysintheLife.html

Melody said...

Wow...a real published author...I am in aww. My grandmother used to call it Wally World too, thought she was the only one.

Anonymous said...

Shopping at Wal-Mart?!?

NOooo......

http://www.indyweek.com/durham/2002-05-08/news.html

Marie Rossiter said...

Yes, I'm sure I'm going to rot because I shop at Wal-Mart. I'd much rather shop at places like LL Bean and other big name places, but until I become independently wealthy, I shop at places like Wal-Mart sometimes. With two kids who go through growth spurts every three months or so, I can't afford to buy brand name items, just to give them away to a stranger.

I also frequent our local grocers, but they are all "big business" as well (Hannaford, Shaws, etc.) In Maine, we take what we can get. There simply aren't a lot of options in the area.

I have read a lot about places like Wal-Mart and other big box retailers. I suppose I can be considered an ostrich, by some. I make the best decisions I can for me and my family--and that's all I can do.

M.J, I respect your opinion, though, and thank you for stopping by my blog.

Anonymous said...

"I make the best decisions I can for me and my family--and that's all I can do."

Aye, that is the best anyone can do.

Best Regards,
MJ