Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Odds and Ends

After the long holiday weekend, which was lovely, we're trying to get back on some sort of routine. Summer, though, seems to have other plans. Since today is sort of a catch up day, I figured I'd do the same with my blog. So, here's an update on some of the things going on in my crazy life. 1. For the first time in ages, I am sitting in a clean place in my house. This is not to say that I'm a slob, but let's just say that for years, clutter has been my friend. I'll clean up the crap, and then it just comes back. With four of us (including two young ones) in the house, there will always be some type of disorder. However, on Saturday, I simply said "ENOUGH!" So, the family spent the day cleaning, organizing and pitching stuff. The downstairs of the house looks great--all we have left is the upstairs bedrooms and the basement, where I'm tempted to just drop an H-bomb and call it a total loss. Working from home puts me in a viscious circle: I know I should be working on my writing, but the house is a mess, so I'm distracted, but I don't have a lot of time to really clean well, so I just throw up my hands in disgust. Then, I get stressed out. Fun, huh? Now, I just suck it up and say, "Do what you can, when you can." Working in a clean house certainly is better, though, I must confess. 2. Speaking of the writing, here's where I am with that. The past two weeks I've taken a break from the mansucripts and have been focusing on getting some article queries out there. I got 5 assignments last week for the next two months from the paper I usually write for, plus an online trade magazine that I'm now a regular at. In addition, one of my memoir pieces "Sing Us a Song" got accepted into the Long Story Short online literary magazine. It will go live tomorrow. Here is their homepage link: Long Story Short Literary Magazine The site is pretty cool, so go check it out when you can. With the good comes the "not so good" (won't say bad, here): I got a rejection from The Christian Science Monitor for an article proposal about standardized education. I have about 7 other queries out there that I'm waiting on--which is the worst part of writing. I'm also trying to come up with a good place to put my manuscript work for an online portfolio...Yes, it's called avoidance of work, folks. 3. Cailyn is enjoying day camp--THANK GOD--and Erin is enjoying her time at home with me for the summer. I feel badly sometimes because I work during the day and she has to entertain herself. I do have someone come down and take her out for a few hours, but there are times I feel like I should do more with her. But, by working in the day, I leave time open in the evening when Cailyn gets home, so I can spend more time with the whole family. Deep down, I know I can't be a social director (nor do I want to be) for a 7 and 3 year old, but balancing them, writing and the house drives me loony sometimes, nevermind what it does to my marriage. Poor Jon works so hard, too...and at times it feels like two ships passing in the night. But, enough bitching from me. I really have no right. 4. Apparently, I didn't comment on my quiz results in my last post re: the strawberry ice cream. Thanks to a careful reader for pointing that out. I don't totally agree with the outcome--but, what's the use in arguing, right? I will say that I'm sweet and can seem a bit shy/retiring. But, those that know me know what a crock of shit that is! LOL Ok, I've procrastinated long enough, I suppose. Off to work. Just wanted to update and let the world know I haven't fallen off of it; yet.

No comments: