Thursday, July 14, 2005

An only child's sister...

Those of you who read Heidi's Daze probably know that she and I are best friends. You also probably know that she is packing up and getting ready to move back closer to her hometown. I couldn't be happier for her and her family. I'm a little less happy that Cincinatti, OH is over 600 miles away from Maine (but, then again, Maine seems to be 600 miles from just about anywhere ;) ) When I met Heidi almost seven years ago, she was still a kid--and I mean no disrespect by that!! She and her then-fiance (now husband) were about to graduate from college and then get married soon afterwards. Meanwhile, Jon and I had moved to the next phase of our lives: married, new homeowners and new baby. When Jon and I lived in Ohio, we were the "babies" of our circle of friends. When Heidi came into my life, my role changed. I felt the transition deep within me. When Matt was joining the company Jon works at, he and Heidi came over for a dinner, sort of as a way to get to know each other. I felt at home with this girl, although she was kinda quiet. I knew how nervous she must have felt and how overwhelming it must have been. I think I assured her that all would be fine. I didn't see her for a while after that first dinner. The details on how we became so close are a bit fuzzy. They moved out here in the summer of 1999 and somehow, we just started hanging out together. There was nothing planned or anything, we were just hanging out a bit. She adored my daughter and helped me out when I needed anything. She turned to me for advice about many things. But, mostly, we talked about kids. I could tell she wanted to start her own family.. A while later, her wish came true. Then, she would say, "Oh, I wish we were pregnant together, so we can experience this together." Four months later, baby Erin was on the way for me. Heidi and Matt became Erin's godparents. Over the years, we've shared almost everything about our lives. I've told her things I couldn't tell anyone else--and sometimes it was about things that I didn't even want to admit to. She accepts me completely for who I am, and I know that I'm not the easiest person in the world to deal with at times. I can count on her for anything. I also went through a life changing moment because of Heidi. I almost lost her once. As I sat in the ICU and looked at my best friend so ill, I kept telling her (ok, warning her), "Don't you dare leave us...don't you dare leave me. Matt needs you. Your family needs you. And, I need you." As any best friend would do, she listened--and she came back to us. We've had a couple of great years together since then. I've been working from home, we're raising our girls together, which is fun and tiresome at the same time. I've always wanted a friend like her. I don't have many friends, mostly because I don't trust easily. There are many acquaintances in my life, but I can't count on one hand how many true friends I've had. It is sacred to me, this type of friendship. But, this time, Heidi's leaving and no matter how much I might want to say, "Don't you dare leave me!", this is one time that I have to keep my mouth shut (and Heidi will tell you, that's no easy feat!). In the back of my mind, I've always known she'd go back to the Midwest, I just didn't think that almost 7 years would go by so quickly. But, all I have to do is look at our kids and it's obvious that time does fly. Whatever Heidi sets out to do, I know she will be successful. For those who will enter into her life soon, I offer this advice: Heidi may seem quiet and shy--if she stays that way, you know you haven't reached the true woman inside. The quickest way to Heidi's good side is some good chocolate and/or French Vanilla coffee from DD. She has little tolerance for narrowmindedness--she is very openminded and willing to all sides of an issue before making a judgment. She is sensitive, but strong. There's a lot more, but it would take up too much space. Heidi,I wish you didn't have to go, but I couldn't be more thrilled that you're now starting the next phase of your life. Thank you for being part of my life, being my sister and for leaving a lasting imprint in my life. And, no matter where you go, I'll still need you. Hope you can deal with that. Best wishes and luck. Bon Voyage!

6 comments:

Melody said...

Distance could never "kill" a freindship like that, it will probably make you even closer. This is the kind of relationship that I have with my baby sister.

Nickle Annie said...

Awww what a nice tribute! I'm sure she feels the same way about you. :)

Robin said...

You are so right, friendships like that are so rare. I am sure that the distance will only make your bond stronger.

Sheri said...

What a beautiful tribute to your best friend. How lucky you both are to have each other. True friends come into our lives very softly most times. I'm glad you found Heidi

Hippie girl said...

I just stopped by to check out your blog. You are truley blessed to have a friend like her and she is blessed to have you.I would rather have 1 good friend like that instead of 10 casual friends.
Good luck with your writting sista YAY-YAY

MP said...

Ok pass the flippin kleenex. What a beautiful tribute. God love the internet that helps keep people in touch, as well as those old fashioned phones, and snail mail. I bet people really did loose friends in the covered wagon days. I'm glad we don't live in the covered wagon days.