Tuesday, July 26, 2005

An uneventful trip...

"It's been a pretty uneventful trip." With the exception of the typical sibling squabbles between Miss C and Miss E, the four plus hours we had been in the car passed by without too much stress. My recently purchased Ipod and the little gadget that allows us to play endless tunes through my Grand Am stereo served us well: a playlist for Mom and Dad and one for the girls kept everyone happy, for the most part. There was no Wiggles music within earshot, so the trio of people over the age of three were thrilled. We had reached the worst part of the trip: the Maine Turnpike. So close to home, yet still an hour or so away. There's nothing to look at and everyone is restless at this point. Fortunately, traffic was flowing quickly and we were making excellent time. We rounded one of the few, wide corners of the highway when we all we saw was dust. "What the hell?" I asked. Jon hit the brakes and the question was wordlessly answered. A dark SUV was tumbling off the shoulder an into the grassy shoulder area. "Holy Shit." I grabbed the cell phone and my fingers punched in 9-1-1. I prayed that the words I spoke weren't an incoherent jumble and that I gave enough information to get a squad to arrive quickly. The responder already knew about the accident--someone else must have called before me. Our car stopped abruptly a short distance from the wreck. Jon jumped out of the car and I looked over my shoulder. "Girls, do not move! Stay in the car. Daddy and I will be right back." Cailyn cried out a little, but I swung my door open and followed my husband out onto the side of the highway. I wouldn't consider myself a coward, but ordinarily I avoid seeing blood or injury. I don't even watch medical shows, because I can get a bit squeamish. Still, all my head kept saying was "If it were my me and my kids, I'd want help." What was once an SUV looked crumpled and burned out of control. A woman and a girl of about 10 stood nearby while two other men, other passersby who stopped to help, were calling out to them. All Jon and I could hear was something about "Gotta find the toy." Toy? I stopped short, glanced around and thought, "They're screaming about a toy?" Jon kept going toward them. "Here! He's over here!" Way up on the grassy embankment, at least 50 feet from the SUV was a boy. The two men ran up and removed him carefully from the hill and the scattered debris from both within and ouside the vehicle. Finally, we reached them. The boy was conscious and surprisingly alert, albeit cut up and bit bloody. Mom and sister talked with another woman, a nurse, who stopped. I wasn't even sure they realized that the boy was found. One of the men who found him was an EMT and talked into a crackling radio. The other man peppered the boy with questions, to see how extensively he was injured. My contribution to the scene: "Do you want something to help clean him up a little?" Someone said yes, and I rushed back through the building smoke and grabbed a handful of napkins and anything else I could find that I figured would help out. My girls were whimpering when I got back. I assured them that all was ok, and that I would come back again. "Don't go Mommy!" Cailyn pleaded. I told her to take care of her sister until I got back in a few minutes and off I went again. The napkins were used to help clean off the boy's face as Mom and sister sat near him. A few more moments passed and Jon decided to move our car even farther away, because the SUV was really raging now. "Stay with the girls!" I told him as he hurried to the car. All I could do was look at this boy. He was 7--Cailyn's age. I know they asked him to give his name. In spite of the trauma that just occurred, he spoke out right away. I provided little help, so I double-checked with the professionals there if they needed anything else (right...). When I heard the EMT comment that the SUV was probably gonna "go" soon, I made a dash to get back to my family. The car spewed thick, black smoke. It popped and hissed and the flames shot higher. I found out that this "big girl" can still move, even in a pair of summer sandals. When I closed the door to our car, the cool air of the AC was a relief and my girls cried. I told them that I promised I'd be back and I don't break promises. Jon and I only took the briefest of moments to exhange looks of disbelief before I barked at him to get out of there before the truck blew. The next day, we looked for news on the boy, wanting to know how the family was doing. Jon couldn't believe that not a single local station covered the story. "I see stuff all the time in the news about accidents on the turnpike," he commented. I kept scanning the news websites in our area and finally shook my head. "We won't find anything about it." "Why not?" I turned to him. "First of all, they didn't have to shut the highway down. No traffic. But, most of all, nobody died." Jon said nothing. "It's not news without a traffic jam or a death."

5 comments:

Sheri said...

sadly, I didn't hear about this either. I'm glad you were there to give whatever help you could in that situation.

Glad you are all home safe and sound!

MP said...

Back a couple weeks ago I saw a car fly over 4 lanes of traffice and it TOATLLY freaked me out. I didn't stop since it was morning rush hour and there were already at least 5 other cars stopped. It has haunted me. They did shut down the interstate for this..yet nothing on the news that evening or in the newspaper. It baffled me. Now today there was a minivan accident near our Six Flags and 7 people died. That of course is all over the news. I just really want to know how that person is that I saw flipping and flying in front of my car. That angel on your shoulder kept you and yours safe.

Alekx said...

Seeing an accident is always traumatic even for the pros. I can say good job on your part, offering help to the more experienced person then getting outta the way when your part was done. So many people want to stay around a gawk hoping for more injury etc and just end up the hell in the way of getting a person taken care off

Kudos to you and yours

Marie Rossiter said...

Thank you Alekx! It's always amazed me that "rubberneckers" (as I grew up knowing them) are so prevalent. Sure, all people have curiosity, but why someone would want to see anyone else suffer or in pain--don't get that at all.

Any curiosity I had about accidents is gone now.

And, to further prove the final point in my last blog, the news was plastered today with a story about a three-car accident on the same road, but just north of where we live. At first, they reported that someone was killed, then they backed off. But, it still made the news because the turnpike was shut down for 10 or so miles...

Unreal.

Although, after much net surfing, I found one tiny mention of the accident we saw in a paper far south of here. Apparently, all three family members are fine. Thank goodness!

Anyway, I appreciate your kind words.

sandegaye said...

You did a great job Marie. Sometimes it helps accident victims just to know that people will stop & offer to render aid. Here in FL, there have been accidents on I-4 (headed to the happiest place on earth.. DisneyWorld) & victims will be lying in the road & cars will actually drive AROUND them, to keep from stopping & giving any of their precious time. I've heard of at least 3 instances of this & it sickens me. Ut just represents a loss of our humanity, & that's utterly sad.