Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Leave Mother Nature alone...

When most people find out that I live in Maine, the typical response is: "Oh, it is so beautiful!" I've been to Acadia, numerous state parks and the coast and I absolutely love looking at Nature.

I just don't really enjoy being an active participant. In all of my experiences where I've tried to get in touch with some of the smaller natural wonders of the world, hardly any were inspiring enough for me to want to dig deeper into becoming the rugged outdoors type of gal.

Jon was a boy scout as a kid and supposedly camped out a bunch of times. He has fond memories of his times in the wilderness--even camping out once in the winter time--and no, he's not an Inuit, although the word idiot does come to mind--I mean, really, sleeping outside in the snow ON PURPOSE?? I, on the other hand, got booted out of the girl scouts. I guess you have to go to meetings to be considered an active member. Geesh, such strict rules.

The last time I spent a night outdoors involved being blindfolded, tossed in the back of a pickup truck with a group of college friends and taken to the middle of nowhere so that I could recite a Shakespearean monologue with a stylish wardrobe of Reddi Whip to set the mood. Don't ask, theater people are a quirky bunch. When dawn broke, I said, "Wow, that's amazing. Get me the hell home." I stumbled back into my house around 7:30 am, my parents were amazed that I lasted the night, and that whipped cream could smell so rank.

Today, I took a trip to Hermit's Island on Casco Bay with my daughter and her 80+ classmates. After an unexpected hike to and from our "work site", climbing over kelp and stepping on innumerable sea creatures, and trying to navigate through so-called paths of thick brush to find a place for 8 year olds to use a bathroom, I can say with certainty that my opinion of studying nature up close and personal just isn't something that is all that appealing to me. We were at the ocean...why not just kick back, walk on the sand so that I could feel it in between my toes and enjoy the sounds of the surf and of kids laughing? Instead, when my kid and another waded into the water, I hear teachers yelling at them for stepping a toe into the ocean. In other words, "Hey, it's ok to rip sea creatures out of their homes to study them, but don't enjoy the environment!!" But, safety first, always. Of course, climbing on rock cliffs covered with wet seaweed when the tide is out is really an exercise in caution. The kids had a good time, and that's all that matters.

But, all is not lost. I did learn a few things about nature today:
1. Rockweed pops when you step on it or squeeze it. Sort of like nature's version of rock acne or bubble wrap.
2. Crabs seem to have problems keeping their legs on. There was some sort of massive crab leg dismemberment event even before the screaming kids arrived for the day. But, never fear, they grow back after a few months.
3. Sticktights have two meanings: they are the little creatures that cling onto rocks and other beach items for dear life. I also learned that I plan on sticking tight to places where I can enjoy nature from a distance and have the privilege of knowing there is running water and a toilet just down the hall...

Some may call me a snob, but I call myself clean.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

how fun Marie! I bet your daughter had a blast and was happy you chaperonesd. I haven't got the gumption up to do that. Yesterday at 4pm I picked up Hannah after a trip to Bostons' science musuem with her class. The chaperone moms climbing off the bus looked weary and ready for large quantities of alcohol after that day. lol

Robin said...

Well Marie, I love nature, and I think that you just weren't in the right natural setting. Next time, I suggest a secluded beach, the sound of waves crashing against the rocks, seagulls overhead, a cushy lounge chair, and a cabana boy serving you fancy drinks with umbrellas. Then perhaps you will learn to respect Mother Nature!

;-)