Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Aging Gracefully??

Monday morning, I picked up Erin from preschool. She runs to her mailbox and grabs a sheet of paper. "Here, Mommy, it's for you! For Mother's Day!" After reminding her that Mother's Day is almost a week away, she tells me she doesn't care and wants me to look at it NOW!

On a pink piece of paper is a little message of love for Moms, with blanks in various places for the kids to fill in (well, they tell the teachers and they fill it in).

Here's the loving message my youngest daughter gave me to celebrate Mother's Day:

"My Mom

My Mom is prettiest when...she gives me a hug
My Mom likes to make...cookies
My Mom always says..."I Love You"
(phew, there could have been some other interesting answers there!)
My Mom is funny when she....makes me giggle

And...at the very top of the page--the highlight!!

My mom is ______years old
to which my second born replies...46!!


WTF???

I go to drop her off this morning and run into her head teacher, Donna, and say "So, Erin thinks I'm 46, huh?" I did appear to be amused--I think. Donna replies, "Hey, you're one of the lucky ones. One of the kids said '80'! for his mom!"

They do say 40 is the new 30....and Jon says to look at the bright side: "You look fabulous for 46, babe!" This from the man that many think is YOUNGER than me (yes, I'm looking at you, Sue!! ;) ) Last I checked, being born in 1969 certainly qualifies as older than being born in 1971.

Still, I think I'll stick with Jon's statement. If I look like this young at 46, imagine what 60 will be!

That is, if the girls don't cause me to go totally grey and/or bald by then...

2 comments:

Sheri said...

lol! Too funny and I must say you do look great for 46! (ducking from your swinging fist)

My daughter has been saying to me "mom, back in the olden days when you were little did you..." wtf? olden days? that's what I used to say to MY mother. Have I turned into my mother?

Marie Rossiter said...

We all turn into our mothers, on some level. I've discovered the harder I fight it, the worse it gets! LOL (Love ya, Mom! Really)

Olden days--yeah, I feel like I've lived there somedays...

I don't look at it as old, but rather---experienced! ;)