Tuesday, January 03, 2006

It's all about me.

Hi. Yeah, that's me in the picture over there. I hate having my picture taken because, well...we'll get to that in a minute... But, I figure if Heidi can step up and show herself off, then I, as her best friend, should brave it, too. What are best friends for, right? She looks fabulous, btw. She's still a youngin', though--just celebrated a birthday yesterday. I won't reveal how old she is--that's her prerogative. Anyway, back to me. December 2005 wasn't the best month for me. With all the issues with my medication, my back going out while away in Vermont for the holidays, and news that I need to see a gastroenterologist because of some wonky liver enzyme levels, a "fatty liver" and a gall stone, I seem to have become a walking health hazard. The truth of the matter is that I've been a walking health hazard for quite some time. I've managed to dodge some major problems, and I'm damn lucky. The fact that something significant hasn't happened to me can only be described as good fortune and my guardian angel shining down on me. I'm overweight. I'm not just talking a little bit. The clinical term is obese. I hate the word, but I figured I should just call it what it really is. I've never been this bad off before--sure, I've been plus sized for a long time, but never to this extent. Part of it, the doctor feels, is a result of being on my first antidepressant, which can cause significant weight gain. Again, before I started on the drug, I was already heavy. But, I ballooned to my current weight over the past 12 months. Many things in my life changed in 2005 and I didn't make very good choices on how to cope with those changes. Pure and simple, I eat because I'm happy, sad, angry, depressed, lonely, etc. So, for someone to be clinically depressed, one can imagine the struggles I've had with food. When Jon found out I was posting a pic of myself, he was stunned. He knows how much I hate getting my picture taken, never mind show to the world. Looking at pictures is a harsh reality check. I've gone on with life, just pretending that the weight doesn't bother me or that it isn't really "that bad". The weight does bother me. It really is "that bad". I've gone on "diets" before and do well the first two months. But, at the slightest hiccup, I go right back to my old habits. This time, I want to do things differently. I don't want the focus of my efforts to be on just the scale. It's not really about the numbers on the scale, but more about living healthier--the pounds lost will be a bonus. I need to hold myself accountable, and that's where you all come in. I plan on holding myself accountable to all of you. Each week, I'll be posting something (either here or somewhere else and I'll provide the link) about my goals and progress for the week. Don't expect to see a lot of emphasis on the scale. I'm going to be looking more toward my behaviors and identifying the problems and figuring out the solutions. Then, I plan on diving in with a more conventional weight loss program. It's all about taking tiny steps. I will be posting more pics, too...talk about being accountable!! But, when this works, and eventually it will, I'd like some documented proof of my progress. The first week is focusing on drinking more water and watching my portion sizes. I will probably keep a food diary for the week, to see my patterns. In general, I know I don't eat stuff that is horrible for me (except fast food from time to time). My issue is "how much". I can't just eat one serving. Kinda sounds like a form of addiction. The second week will be all about adding activity to my life-even if it's only 5 to 10 minutes. In the past, I've worked so hard, I've burnt out. I won't do that this time. Those are the only two things I have concretely planned. Well, that and that by the Jan 31, I am going back to an eating plan that I know has worked before. I was joking with Heidi yesterday that I've proclaimed 2006 "The Year of Me". Sounds selfish, but I've decided that if I don't take care of myself, who will? Instead of focusing all of my attention on everyone and everything else around me, I can spare more time for myself. I think that I'll be pleased with the results. So, at least once a week, I'll be keeping it real by giving all of you the scoop on my progress (good, bad or indifferent). Swift kicks in the ass are graciously accepted (and very-often needed).

4 comments:

Jon said...

I am so proud of you, and I will be there to help when I can either by good natured butt kickin' or by leaving you alone when you need it too. Also, anything I can do to give you more time for you I will do my best. You're the best and I love you forever!

Sheri said...

What wonderful things Jon & Heidi have to say! I'm sending you a link by email for a Network54 board I have started for support. Please feel free to share it with anyone you feel would benefit.

I think you are on the right track! I'll be cheering you on.

Robin said...

First of all, you are beautiful, inside and out! And weight has nothing to do with who you are, at least it shouldn't. BUT, you need to be healthy. You need to be strong and energetic for you (because your spirit is that way), and you need to be that way for your family. I applaud your candor, and your realism about it all.

And as someone who has struggled with issues just like this in the past, I am here as a sounding board when the going gets rough.

I feel that you are going to make this work. I just know it!

:-)

Anonymous said...

I always knew there was a reason we were like sisters. Great minds do think alike. I too have made the decision that 2006 is my year to soar. I am not quite sure the reason behind my funk for the last several years (could be mom dying or the stresses of everyday life, who knows) but I am tired of hating myself. If I had a digital camera, I still don't think I would be brave like you to post it for the world to see. I will live vicariously through your pictures.

As you already know, I am here for you regardless of the time, distance or mood.

I cannot begin to tell you how proud I am of you for finally recognizing that you are worth every good thing that comes your way, including healthy living.

We can hold each other up through this endeavor and celebrate our successes when next we meet.

I love and miss you!!