Friday, June 02, 2006

Open Connections

For about a week now, Cailyn, my 8 y.o. has been asking for her own blog. She has never taken an interest in the internet before, although she knows about it; how could she not, since Mom practically lives there many days! LOL But, the request came out of the blue for me and Jon and we've taken our typical parental strategy: ignoring it and hoping it will go away.

That strategy hasn't worked this time. I guess the kid is catching on to us.

At dinnertime last night, Jon and I drilled her with questions about why she wants a blog. In language so concise that any writer would be jealous, she gave this reason first:

"Because."

That's usually my line when she asks why she should do something. Nothing like turning my words back on me.

We sat down with her and explained all about internet safety. She's a smart girl, but she is only 8, and I certainly don't want her putting out any information on the net that is dangerous to her or to our family. I mean, we're not in the witness protection program, but have any of you seen those Dateline episodes where they show the creepy internet stalker guys walking into a house looking for some "conversation" with kids? The mind boggles.

Jon still wasn't convinced this was a good idea and asked Cailyn, again, why she wanted a blog. Cailyn got quiet for a moment and then replied. "I want to write like Mommy."

She had to play that card.

Needless to say, I spent the better part of an evening trying to figure out a way to let her express herself online in a way that is safe and secure. I managed to do that. She now has her own little corner of the world wide web where she cannot be found very easily, where I have full access to her account and have all comments/discussion monitored my me. Pretty much, the kid is keeping a personal diary online. And I'm openly controlling it. I'm not sure how long this will last, but I'll take it where I can get it.

In Cailyn's first post, she "brags" about making mommy "cave". I guess I did a little, but I do want to encourage her to write. I plan on sending out her link to a few select family and our friends, so they can read and respond to her. As a writer and a former teacher, turning down a willingness to be creative and write is something that is hard to refuse.

What's next as my oldest continues to grow up? We've covered clothes and the computer now. I think the next thing is the phone. All of a sudden, she's getting phone calls. It's only one person in particular (her best friend) that calls, but last night, there was a call at the tail end of dinner. We allowed her to take the call. Jon and I just sat at the table, looked at each other with mild amusement and knew that we were entered a new phase of our daughter's life.

She wants to connect more with the outside world. And, as exciting as that is, it also scares the hell out of me. For now, I'll keep a tight grip on the apron strings, even though I'm lengthening them just a bit.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Wow, you're brave. But at least you are being proactive by controlling every aspect of the situation that you can. Good mommy. Does she know that you are doing that?

I be it will make from some intersting (and enlightening) reading for you!

Sheri said...

how fun! I'm with Robin.... you'll probably get a kick out of the stuff she'll write about.