Wednesday, March 29, 2006

From the "Out of the Mouths of Babes" file....

Sometimes I think I liked my kids better when they could just lie on the floor and drool all over themselves--but, then I remember the diapers, formula, baby food and all those other wonderful expenses that don't suck the last nickle out of my monthly budget anymore. Now that both my girls think they know more than me, those days seem almost "nostalgic".

Erin, the 4 year old, has become our resident one-liner/funny observation maker...Here's just a sample of her latest gems:

Last weekend as the family enjoyed a dinner out at a kid-friendly sit down restaurant, the girls were getting a litle--um--too loud for my liking. I glared sideways at Erin, immediately to my left, and muttered: "You keep this up and I'm gonna stick my foot up your butt" After 30 seconds of her patented "boo-boo face", Erin goes, "But, it's small." Huh? is the only thing that I manage to say. She just keeps on going, "Mommy, my butt is small and your foot is wayyy too big to do that."

In the parking lot of same restaurant on the same evening, the girls are sitting in the back seat of daddy's hot new wheels. Jon mentions something about needing to put the manual brake. "Is the emergency brake on," curious Erin wants to know before getting out of the car. When Jon replies yes, she gives her stamp of approval: "Good, otherwise we'd roll down the hill just like a pumpkin!" [Note: I wasn't in the car, so I missed the hysterics that supposedly ensued after this comment.


Erin holds up a beautiful yellow dress that my mom sent to her. "I want to wear this to school!" she says, jumping up and down. "No," I tell her. "It's only for special occasions." With a look like I just popped her favorite balloon, she replies ,"But, mom, I AM SPECIAL!"


Yes, you are, you little smart ass...:)

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Gotta love those kids and the cute things they say! How fun!