Friday, September 09, 2005

The Last Rose of Summer

I believe this will be the last bloom on my rosebush until next year. When I got home from dropping the girls off at school, it was too beautiful to just walk by--so, I figured instead of just stopping to smell the roses, I'd capture it so I could hold onto it for more than just a few days. Same bloom below, except I'm playing with shadows, settings and color (or lack thereof, in this case). I have a confession to make about my roses. Friends who have seen my roses this year (and in years before) have asked what my secret is. Heck, I was even hired to ghostwrite an ebook on growing roses. ME! My secret: ignore the blasted things. Nature is a fascinating thing. Jon and I have tried to grow other flowers in this side area of the house--everything dies. The rose bushes we planted, though, have grown bigger and heartier every year. We cut them back in the winter or early spring. We don't cover them. We don't water them. We don't feed them. Heck, we don't even weed that much.They grow like the dickens. I think it's Mother Nature's way of reminding us poor schmucks that she doesn't need our help. After writing over 80 pages on the history and care of roses, I figure out that I could have summed it up in three words. Leave Them Alone. Somehow, I doubt that would have sold very well, though.

2 comments:

Mike Todd said...

Finally, some gardening advice I might actually follow. Thanks!

Sheri said...

note to self: follow Marie's advice and leave them alone.

Beautiful roses!!

Still trying to think of something to write about for you!