Tuesday, March 08, 2005

thoughts of a dark and snowy night...

Sounds like the start of some thriller-type novel doesn't it? Well, nothing as exciting as that going on here. With a sick hubby long since in bed and two little ones asleep, I have the rare opportunity of some solo time in the evening. After getting my Weather Channel fix about the most recent snowstorm bearing down on us here in Maine this evening, I shut off the tube, decided to check some email and now sit down to blog a little. I've got the Netscape Radio on Classical 101 and Mozart is lilting through my computer speakers. Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (A Little Night Music). Seems an appropriate music selection as nature unleashes her wild ways outside; all is calm within my humble abode. Oh, my windchimes are getting a good workout this evening. Gusts of over 40 mph have brought them from their usual tinkling in the evening breeze to banging against one another--almost giving a musical voice to the storm out there. It's funny--not in the ha-ha way, but more in the peculiar sense--I tend to bitch about the winter weather. I do, in fact, hate the cold. But, when a good snowsnorm is cranked up out there, there is something almost exciting about it. I love watching it blow around by the amber street lamps just outside my windows. Certainly, there is little fun in shovelling or driving in this stuff, but when the snow is first fallen, there is little to rival its beauty. Perhaps that is why I endure Maine winters, that can seem endless some days (and months). Those fleeting moments when the snow is still untouched or soiled. All just seems right with the world. I'm waxing poetic here, which is probably a good indication that it's time for me to head to bed. Good night all!

No comments: