Sunday, February 13, 2005

Top Five Reasons Why I'm a Geek....

Well, it was made official tonight, although I still dispute the results. I suppose that I've been in denial long enough. It's time for me to stand up and take ownership: My name is Marie....and I'm a geek. I guess it's really not the fact that I'm a nerd that's too shocking to me. Hell, I've been known as a geek, a nerd, a freak for more years than I care to admit. However, NEVER in my life did I think that I would rank higher on a nerd test than an engineer--namely, my husband! Thanks to my best gal pal, and you know who you are (HEIDI!--who has her own blog--go check it out: Heidi's Daze [there's a little plug for you, girlfriend]), Jon and I took this little fun test to see who was the bigger nerd. Now, Heidi was proud to be able to say that her husband scored way higher on the test than she. So, of course, with my husband being an engineer and much deeper in geek territory than I ever thought I would be, I was pretty confident that I would be bragging right beside my best friend... WRONG WRONG WRONG According the this test (the validity of which I'm still determined to contradict, btw), I am 15 points MORE of a geek than Jon. Don't get me wrong--Jon is not a typical geek (yes, he wears glasses, is an engineer and loves gadgets and gizmos, but that's pretty much where most of the similarities end). But, he took CALCULUS for God's sake! Me? I barely made it through Trig and did pretty well in Stats. All of that kind of thinking is just foreign--give me words over numbers any day! Nevertheless, in spite of my protests to these bogus test results, I have decided to step forward and take ownership of my geekiness. I may not agree that I'm more of a geek than my other half, but there is no denying the fact that I have what it takes to be declared a nerd. Now, I would never consider myself an expert to the point where I would be able to say what makes a geek and what doesn't. Overgeneralization is a terrible thing, after all (although EVERYONE DOES IT...LOL). So, I've created the top five reasons why I feel that I'm a geek. These are in no particular order...therefore, feel free to comment/rank them as you'd like: 1. I like the news. I check it online and on the air constantly over the course of the day. I have always been a current events freak...from headlines to sports to business. I'm all over it. 2. Weather fascinates me. How much? To the point that I find myself watching the Weather Channel for those damn Storm Stories specials and for the special storm watch reports with Paul Kocin--the "Godfather of Shitty Weather", as I have affectionally named him. I follow weather reports when I know a storm is coming and even enjoy making my own predictions. Hell, I even have a patented little snowstorm making ritual that is known to a special few. The "Dance of the Snow Day Fairy" is potent stuff, folks. Got us two snow days this week, and it hasn't failed me, yet...EVER. What's really sad is that my dad used to be glued to the radio all of the time when I was a kid and I gave him loads of crap about it. He's laughing up there in heaven right now....although I'm not sure that God would appreciate a man sitting up there and laughing like a maniac... 3. The computer has become an extension of myself. From the internet, to blogging, to word processing and desktop publishing...my work and leisure revolve around this damn machine. All I can say is--thank God I didn't have access like this when I was in school (back then, there was no internet..), otherwise my geek status would have severely been tested. 4. For some reason, I am able to retain odd bits of trivia, although I know for a FACT that my husband has me beat on this one. Still, I love playing Trivial Pursuit because my knowledge specialty is really General Knowledge: I just know a lot of shit about things that I'm not even sure how or why I know it. Guess it was from sitting in the front of the class for all those years. 5. One word: Mythbusters. If you haven't checked it out, go to the Discovery Channel ('nuff said about the geekiness there) and do so NOW. If you have checked it out, you know the goodness of which I speak. I think the title of this blog says it all.... You know, being a geek isn't so bad. After all, it's really not about whether or not someone is a geek, but how someone (me) lives from day to day. Some days, I have my non-geeky days, and others...well... Let me just say this about today: It's now 12:08 and I spent 2 hours of my Sunday night watching the Mythbusters on my TiVo. Me? A Geek? HELL YA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wishing you all the best!