Saturday, February 26, 2005

Say cheese!

Artists are free spirits. Artists hate to have boundaries--it's too limiting to their creativity. Both of those statements are common beliefs about those of us in the art world, and yes, I do consider writing to be an art form; although, perhaps not everything that comes out of my mind and through my hands measures up, but you get my drift. In these two cases, I guess I don't fit the artist mold. I am a writer who does much better with either a date or a person breathing down my neck. If I have story that is due, let's say, in three weeks--I will spend the first 2 1/2 of them simply pondering the story (how I want it to look, sound, feel, etc) and then rush to get it done in the last 3 to 4 days. Does that create stress? Of course. Never said that this strategy was particularly smart, it's just one that is working for me. My latest experiment in this vein was an online writing class I signed up for: Finish your novel in 8 weeks. The premise was great! It gave me a firm deadline to crank out work on a piece that I've been diddling with for months now, and I was excited to go. The end result was a class that talked a lot about the writing process, but there were no firm deadlines, no check ins--pretty much a go at your own pace type of class. If I wanted that, I could have done it on my own and not paid the money. But, I consider it a learning experience. Today, though, I signed up for another class. Only this time, I did a bit more research before registering. My next class adventure is going to be in photography (digital, in particular). As a writer who works primarily with feature articles, it is good to feel comfortable with a camera, so I can capture images that go along with my words. The class I'm taking is through one of the local adult education programs and is very structured! Two lessons a week, quizzes and assignments, as well as a final exam. I know how to point and shoot my new camera, but will feel better once I know what makes a good picture, what all the settings are for on my camera, etc. It's a six week course and I can do it from home--so, I'm excited about that, too. If my cousin Jody ever reads this, I hope that she'll be proud of her ol' cuz for actually wanting to learn the art behind the lens---although I'm sure my work will never compare to hers! Although, my subjects will also be never like many of hers, either (and she knows what I mean there!) As I learn, I'll have to post some of the pics I take for my class. The pic in my profile is one of mine, btw. I need to make it a bit larger, I think. So, for those who read this that are near and dear, be forewarned: I may be asking you to say "Cheese" the next time I see ya!

No comments: