Thursday, February 17, 2005

Sharing isn't always a good thing

Okay, so, one of the things that parents are supposed to teach their kids is to share nicely. Anyone who has a preschooler--or a child of any age --knows how hard this can be. There is one exception to this rule: illness. Oh, do kids love to share the germs! Ask my 3 year old to share a doll or a toy, and it's like the world is coming to an end sometimes. But, the moment she gets sick, Erin decides it would be lovely to pass it around. I usually avoid the creepy crawlies the kiddies bring home from school and day care, but now that I'm not teaching full time, I think my resistance has lowered a bit. Anyway, Erin hasn't been feeling so hot lately, but has been fighting it off like a trooper. But, when she woke up this morning, she had a low grade temp and a weird rash. Off to the pediatrician we went. When we saw Dr. Dramko (who is AMAZING....), he was a bit puzzled. In the end, he decided to do a strep culture, although he doubted that was the cause. Well, less than 5 minutes into what should have been a 7 minute test, he comes back in an said, "Wow, well...it took about 1 minute. She's definitely positive." When I had mentioned that I hadn't been feeling so hot, he strongly suggested that we toddle over to my dr for me to get the blasted culture. Sure enough, off we go and the dr. sticks that huge q-tip in the back of my mouth--BLECK...Same thing...a big fat +. So, Erin understands the concept of sharing. See, kids do comprehend what we try to teach them--they just have selective hearing. Here's hoping the antibiotics kick in shortly...

No comments: