Friday, April 21, 2006

How Soon We Forget

Thanks to Sheri for keeping it real. She motivated this email I wrote to MSNBC, my network of choice. By no means does it condemn just that network, but the media in general. I'm sure my comments will do nothing, but at least I got my say:

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:21:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Marie Rossiter" Subject: How soon we forget
To: viewerservices@msnbc.com

I am an avid reader of MSBNC.com and tune into MSNBC as often as I can. I usually find your work relevant, current and objective.

Therefore, I am puzzled with the fact that your network, like most others in our country's media, feels that stories related to Tom Cruise, Queen Elizabeth's birthday and the ouster of the latest Survivor contestant warrants more attention than recognizing the Oklahoma City Bombing and Columbine tragedies.

I don't like wallowing in sadness, but come on! Every time I click on a news site or flip the channel (yes, your network included) I see so much time devoted to the lives of people that really hold no special meaning or significance in our daily lives--as a people and as a nation.

Time, it seems, does heal all wounds.

But, the scars are still there--especially for those directly affected by these tragedies. I don't happen to be one of them, but I remember the horrors of Oklahoma City and Columbine. I watched the riveting images on MSNBC as events unfolded.

I don't believe that bad or morose news should plaster our broadcasts, papers and magazine. We have enough bad news to go around. However, shame on the media for glossing over such important dates in our history in favor of discussing the "irony" of Baby Cruise and Baby Sheilds being born on the same day at the same hospital.

What will we forget next? The trooops in Iraq? How about September 11? It has been 5 years after all...

I hope the media, and its viewers, gets their collective priorities straight sometime soon. Let's focus on the people of this world who give all they can, including their lives, instead of those who have so much because of our country's obsession was fame.

Thank you.

Sincerely, Marie Rossiter viewer, Auburn, ME

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey There Girl, How true is your letter to MSNBC today. Especially since they just stopped a potential school shootout in Kansas today (reported on Good Morning America) As well you know living close to Toledo, the local news channels broke in to regular programming Tuesday night announcing that the "tomkitten" had been born. Big woop! As if I or anyone else around here (with the exception of her parent-vacationing in florida by the way) care about Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise. It is this kind of thing that causes me to watch Rachel Ray and the food network during the 6:00 newshour.

Love ya,

Robin said...

True enough Marie. Bravo.

Sheri said...

amen sister. You said it very well!!