Thursday, February 16, 2006

Sick....and tired

In his classic performance "Himself", Bill Cosby makes the following statement:
You know, one day mother started into it. She said, "You make me sick." "And tired," I finished. [long pause while the audience laughs] I don't remember anything that happened that day
Word to that...well, all except for the thing about saying that to my mom (I valued my life). Sick and Tired just seem to go together like PB&J, Spaghetti and Meatballs--you get the idea. I'm pretty sure that most people get sick because they are tired (read: exhausted) and that's when the germs get ya, as soon as the body says, "Yeah, I could use a little rest." How about a rest without feeling like my head is in a vice, my breathing whistling an off key tune and my voice sounding like Rocky after he's gone one too many rounds with Apollo, Mr. T or that Russian guy in Rocky IV (right? I stopped caring after Rocky II, really) Today in our lovely home, Mommy and Daddy are sick and tired. We both have colds miserable little things. A cold is great if you want the sensation of being underwater or trapped in some sort of transparent box with minimal air. Not exactly a great combination. The worst thing about them is that there's nothing you can do but wait the damn thing out. And, since I'm tired, it will probably take me a few days to shake this thing. If I wanted a vacation, I'd go to Bermuda or Jamaica or somewhere tropical. I don't need by body shutting down on me to impose a mandatory break time. It sort of takes away from the whole relaxation concept. I don't know about you, but when I try to relax when I'm sick, it just isn't very...well...relaxing. I ache, I cough, my head aches. It doesn't do much for me, but I'm funny that way. Of course, I always get sick when something big happens. Right now, its crunch time for me with work and I stil have't managed to find the the girls' off switch, so I keep plugging on. That's what moms (and most dads) do. So, after a day of hell at work, I'm realy to turn in by 8:30. I know, I know!! My life is so exciing. Hopefully all the juice, extra rest and yes, even yucky medicine, wil help alleviate some of these sucky symptoms. Have a good night. M.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

oh no! Please feel better soon!

Hugs and chicken soup to you

Anonymous said...

Marie,

Try echinacea - either capsules or tea. I swear by it. Half hour walks are good too.


You are phenomenal. Don't get stressed!
Denise