Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My Hometown

Recently, I had an assignment for a new client about the construction boom in the Lewiston/Auburn area. For those that don't live around here, I have to say that the LA area (yes, we call it that---oh, aren't we so cheeky?) is growing by leaps and bounds. When we moved here in 1998, Auburn was a nice little community and Lewiston, well...not so much. A local comedian joked once that people in Lewiston used to go to the Longley bridge, which is the "border" between the cities, look across the water and go, "Someday....someday we'll make it there." Heh.
However, over the past few years, Lewiston has picked itself up, dusted itself off and is really starting to get its shit together. Oh, there will always been that two block stretch on Lisbon Street that houses about 1/2 dozen sleazy bars and a number of "adult" shops (Maine's lame attempt at a red light district), but new businesses are popping up all over, new restaurants, stores, etc.
The same goes for Auburn. We're getting a LongHorn SteakHouse and Ruby Tuesdays! Although, personally, I'd much rather have the Olive Garden that was rumored to be coming in. Homes that make my humble dwelling look like a garage have made an appearance just up the road from here. Jon and I both wonder where the hell these people work, since Jon works at one of the more established and well paying companies in the area and there ain't no way we're ever affording a house like the ones being built around us. See, we have this habit of wanting to put food on the table--silly us.
Anyway, I digress...this assignment required some pictures, so I thought I'd post a few.
From the top of Goff Hill, which on a snowy day, people rarely need a car...just a good nudge and one slide could probably make it into Lewiston. This is right up the road from my house. You're looking at part of downtown Auburn and, in the distance, Lewiston. The big church in the background is St. Peter and St. Paul's Basilica--yes, we're moving up in the world--at least according to the Catholic Church!

The newly renovated Lewiston Public Library is less than two blocks from the aforementioned "redlight district". However, this facility is gorgeous now...it was a decent library to begin with, but now, it's truly high tech and a great place to spend some time.
Great Falls, which flows under the Longley bridge between Lewiston and Auburn. I took a few shots of these early in my photography experience. I shot this one with one of my new lenses. I really like the shot, even though there is some blur around the edges. The new lenses are wonderful, but I need a lot more practice with them. Still, I thought this one was worth posting.
I'll be taking more shots of the area and posting them as I keep working with the camera.
I joke around a lot about the L/A area. Honestly, though, I'm thrilled with where we live--most of the time. ;)
Oh, I just noticed that my one year blogiversary passed without my recognizing it. So, Happy 1st to me!!!! And, thanks Heidi, for getting me started!
And, oh yes...Happy Valentine's Day to all of you! Almost forgot....lol

1 comment:

Sheri said...

Pretty town! I wonder about those people building those big houses too. I went into one yesterday to give an estimate and the house was amazing. 17' ceilings in EVERY ROOM - even the bathrooms... wtf???? Speaking of bathrooms.... each of the 4 bedrooms had their own bath 'suite' with garden jet tubs and seperate tiled showers...even the kids rooms! omg it was so nice. AND it was the owners weekend home until their kids graduate high school in a couple years. DOn't even get me started on the kitchen (3!!! ovens) and exercise and media rooms. sigh. it's nice to dream. Well, I bought my Powerball ticket and am praying like crazy that I hit the big time! I've probably got more of a chance ofgetting hit by lightning.