Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Happy 8th Birthday Cailyn!

Eight years ago, you came to us on an unusually bright, warm February afternoon...You certainly took your time getting here, but after 3 1/2 hours of struggle, you came into the world pink and round and perfect--all 9 pounds, 4 ounces of you! Even then, we had trouble finding clothes that fit you right! LOL Your first year was full of changes--moving from Ohio to Maine, learning to crawl, walk and talk, all before you hit 12 months! You've always kept me on my toes and amazed me with the things you could do, even when people didn't think it was possible. Even as a toddler, you had personality--plus! There were times that it seemed we had a little person as opposed to a child. You had this way of relating to people that went beyond your years. Yet, in spite of your early maturity, there's always been that touch of mischief within you... Four years and one day after we were blessed with you, we gave you the baby sister you wanted so much. You knew, before anyone, that Erin would come into our lives and that she would arrive just in time to be "the best birthday present ever!" I'm not sure who was more proud: Mommy and Daddy or you. I did discover that in spite of my fears of not having enough love to go around for two children, I somehow loved you even more after Erin came along--and had plenty to give to little sis, too! While you are mostly a "Daddy's girl", you and I share so much in common, too. You have a flair for the dramatic--both on and off the stage. Entertaining people brings you joy, and you also have a gift of the written word, too. Whether it's on the stage or in everyday life, you simply love to announce your presence to the world. Sometimes, I come down a little too hard on you about this: thinking that you're being a show off. But, in all honesty, I'm amazed at how comfortable you are in your own skin. You just keep teaching me about what it means to be real. You always have a smile for everyone. So many people say what a happy child you are. Your smile reminds me that even though I don't always act like the greatest mom, I must be doing something ok for you to be so self-assured and happy. I notice that I smile more when I'm around you, too. Although there are many times that I wish I could stop time in its tracks and keep you young and away from so many of the things that you will face as you grow up, I know that I can't. And, deep down, I guess I don't want to. Yes, I get scared at what challenges lie ahead, the fights we'll go through about clothes, boys, cars, etc. But, in the end, I'm just too fascinated by the young lady you're becoming to hold you back. There are still too many lessons for both of us to learn, and for that reason, I can't wait to see you grow up! Happy Birthday Cailyn! I love you so much and couldn't be more proud to be your Mommy. And, I thank you for choosing me to bring you into the world.

3 comments:

Robin said...

What a great tribute! Happy birthday Cailyn!!

Sheri said...

*sniff* wiping streaming eyes here - What a beautiful post to your daughter. I adore the picture of her sticking her finger in the frosting on the cake! The little devil!

Really, Marie - it was just beautiful and so full of love. Thank you for sharing

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday a day late!! Micah and I hope you had a great day and got lots of cool things. Love ya,